By asking the right questions, you can make sure your home search is started on the right foot. Here is a good checklist:
- Interview several lenders and get their opinions
- Choose a lender you trust
- Analyze your credit report
- Provide your financial statements to the lender
- Obtain a pre-approval letter
There are many lending institutions that offer a variety of mortgage products. Financing options and rates can vary widely, so it is important to do your research and shop around to ensure you get the mortgage that best meets your needs at the best price.
The most important rule: only use a local lender. If you can’t drive to their office – best to avoid them. On-line lenders may seem cheaper; but if they can’t meet the closing date – you won’t get the house!